Mechanical keyboards can improve your gaming performance but only when they are working properly. Most people buy mechanical keyboards for gaming but don’t maintain them properly. Do you expect the performance of a brand new keyboard from your messed-up keyword loaded with dust and debris? Of course, you can’t until it is cleaned properly, and there is no better to remove keys from mechanical keyboards. However, you need essential information before removing mechanical keyboard keys. Here are some easy and effective ways on how to remove keys from mechanical keyboard with and without tools.
Why Remove Keys From Your Mechanical Keyword?
Before moving on, it is essential to know why you should remove keys from a mechanical keyboard. Proper maintenance is the key to ideal performance, and cleaning is the prime aspect of maintaining your keyword. Besides cleaning, removing keys also help to fix sticky keys on your keyboard.
Another reason why most people remove mechanical keyboard keys is to customize them. There are keyboards available on the market with different types of keys. For instance, some prefer textured keys due to the convenient use of frequently used buttons.
How to Remove Keys From Mechanical Keyboard
There are two techniques used to remove keys, including tools and without tools.
How to Remove Keys From Mechanical Keyboard Without Tools
If you don’t have any tools nearby, you can use different items to remove them. Here are the most common things you can use.
Remove mechanical keyboards keys with paper clips.
Papers clips are readily available in every home and office. You can easily remove keys from the mechanical keyboard with a paper clip.
- Just bend the pin so that it can fit underneath the keycaps.
- Now slide the clip under the key until a part of it is entirely under the keycap.
- Pull on the paper clip and wiggle it until the key comes off.
- Don’t yank the clips as it can damage the key.
Remove Keys From the Mechanical Keyboard With a Finger
Do the keys from the mechanical keyboard can be removed with your finger? However, this is one painful and challenging technique. There is no space to stick fingers under the keycap.
- Start with the key at the edge of a mechanical keyboard and work your way up to the keys that you want to remove.
- Utilize the room that you achieve by removing a key to remove the next one.
- Try to fit your nail under the keycap and gently pull the key out with your nail. Remember, it can be painful as some keyboards can be right and don’t come off conveniently.
Remove Keys From the Mechanical Keyboard With a Credit Card
This key removing method is similar to paper clips. Make sure to get the credit card under the keycap.
- Exert force gently, and the keycap will come off.
- If you are using a key to remove keys, don’t use too much force as it can damage the keycap.
How to Remove Keys From Mechanical Keyboard With Tools
Using tools to remove keys from your mechanical keyboard is the easiest and quickest technique.
Remove Keys From Mechanical Keyboard With a Keycap Puller
A keycap puller is an inexpensive and small device readily available on the market. There are two types of keycaps, including plastic pullers and wire-pullers.
- Both keycap pullers offer excellent performance in removing keyboard keys.
- Don’t forget to turn off the keyboard before using a keycap puller.
- If you don’t switch off the keyboard, the extremely bright light of the keyboard may affect your eyes. Also, it can damage the internal board of your keyboard.
- After turning off the keyboard, place your keycap puller on the mechanical keyboard and slide it down to the key you want to remove. If you have a plastic puller, you will listen to a click sound when it reaches under the keys.
- On the other hand, if you have a wire keycap puller, just slide the wires under the keys.
- Now pull gently and apply force until the key comes off.
- Don’t try to yank off the keys because it may result in severe damage.
- To remove large keys like the Space Bar and Enter, first remove the keys from one side and then the other.
Whether you want to install new keys or clean the old ones on your mechanical keyboard, make sure to place them properly. Hold the keycap on its mechanism and push it down. You will hear the key click and then lock into place. Don’t use harsh cleaners like bleach to clean keys. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions to prevent issues.